All Things Considered
All Things Considered
Friday, August 29, 2008

Minnesota Public Radio Stories

National Public Radio Stories

  • McCain Picks Alaska Gov. Palin As Running Mate
    Republican presidential candidate John McCain has named Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate. Palin, 44, is the first woman named to a spot on the GOP ticket. She has been Alaska's governor since 2006.
  • Gov. Palin Has Reputation For Independence
    Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is a hot ticket at the GOP convention. Palin, 44, is a former state champ in high school basketball and the mother of five. She's an independent who differs with John McCain on the issue of drilling in the Arctic Natural Wildlife Refuge.
  • Melting Arctic Ice Imperils Polar Bears
    The National Snow and Ice Data Center reports that sea ice could reach all-time record lows in these last few weeks of the Arctic summer. Margaret Williams, who directs the World Wildlife Fund's Alaska office, discusses how that affects polar bears.
  • Louisiana's Terrebonne Parish Braces For Gustav
    Louisiana's Terrebonne Parish was put under a state of emergency Thursday night in preparation for tropical storm Gustav. Michel Claudet, president of Terrebonne Parish, criticizes the federal government's response to their pleas for help.
  • Poem-Songs Kept New Orleans Group Together
    The New Orleans Klezmer All-Stars found themselves in different parts of the country after Hurricane Katrina. Commentator Andrei Codrescu wrote a series of poem-songs to help keep the group together.
  • Letters: Unitarians, Rodriguez
    Listeners responded to the interview with GOP media strategist Stuart Stevens whose comments about Unitarian weddings irked many. Listeners also wrote in about singer-songwriter Rodriguez whose 1969 debut album is being re-released.
  • Obama, Biden Campaign In Pennsylvania
    Barack Obama and Joe Biden are campaigning Friday in Pennsylvania. Obama said John McCain's decision to name Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate was an indicator of how the country was moving forward. Earlier, an Obama spokesman had criticized Palin.
  • Looking At the 5% Who Won't Get Obama Tax Cut
    In his acceptance speech Friday, Democrat Barack Obama said he would cut taxes for 95 percent of all working families. Len Burman, director of the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, says the other 5 percent includes the top two tax brackets.
  • St. Paul Prepares For GOP, Media Limelight
    In preparation for the Republican National Convention, St. Paul, Minn., is preening for its big week. The city has for years played second fiddle to Minneapolis, the larger of the Twin Cities. St. Paul will take center stage when the GOP comes to town.
  • GOP Watches Gustav Ahead Of Convention
    Hurricane Gustav may reach category three when it hits somewhere between the Florida panhandle and Texas early next week, around the same time the GOP is holding its convention in St. Paul, Minn. The Republicans say they are monitoring the situation.

Program Archive
August 2008
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

MPR News

Listen Now

Other Radio Streams from MPR

Classical MPR
Radio Heartland
Win Your Dinner Party

The Dinner Party Download™

A fast, funny digest of the week's most interesting news, cuisine, cocktails and culture.