3 people shot at NE Minnesota courthouseby Rupa Shenoy, Minnesota Public Radio,
Dan Kraker, Minnesota Public Radio
St. Paul, Minn. — Three people, including the Cook County attorney, were wounded Thursday afternoon after being shot at the Cook County courthouse in Grand Marais. Two of the victims, including Cook County Attorney Timothy Scannell, were hospitalized. A third victim was treated and released.
Scannell, 45, was shot multiple times by a man authorities said he had prosecuted earlier in the day. Essentia Health spokeswoman Beth Johnson says that Scannell underwent successful surgery, and he remains hospitalized. His condition has been upgraded to fair. Johnson said he suffered three gunshot wounds, but couldn't elaborate on where they were.
The second shooting victim, Gregory Thompson, 53, of Grand Marais, was admitted to St. Mary's Hospital in Duluth with multiple gunshot wounds and is listed in good condition, Johnson said.
One other victim was treated and released from the Cook County North Shore Hospital in Grand Marais.
The alleged shooter, Daniel Schlienz, has been arrested. No other suspects are being sought, said Minnesota Department of Public Safety spokesman Doug Neville. "We're not looking for anyone else."
John Lillie, Schlienz's attorney, said his client was convicted earlier Thursday on one count of third degree criminal sexual assault and acquitted of a more serious charge. Lillie, Schlienz and Schlienz' mother were discussing possible sentences when Schlienz walked away, and a moment later Lillie says he heard gunshots.
"The county attorney had been shot and had crawled out of his office and was laying in the hallway floor," Lillie said. "It was pretty scary. There was a lot of blood. He was in shock, he was in a lot of pain."
Schlienz did not appear upset before the shooting, Lillie said, but said that Schlienz did feel "persecuted" by the county attorney.
County commissioner Fritz Sobanja said there is no guard and no metal detectors at the courthouse. He said the county board considered increasing security more than two years ago.
"The county board had this discussion and that's where it ended. It had this discussion and no extra security measures beyond the ones that exist were ever done. Which means there are no security measures," Sobanja said.
The state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is investigating the incident.
- Morning Edition, 12/16/2011, 7:20 a.m.
Rupa Shenoy is a general assignment reporter for MPR News.