How the land of the Dakota and Ojibwe became the State of Minnesota
Broadcast: Midday, 07/27/2010, 11:00 a.m.
In "North Country: The Making of Minnesota," author Mary Wingerd describes the relationships between indians and whites in the 200 years before statehood and the early years of statehood.
- Mary Lethert Wingerd: Associate professor of history, St. Cloud State University. Author, "North Country: The Making of Minnesota."
More from MPR
- Smithsonian asks Minnesota tribes for help with new exhibit
July 26, 2010
- Dakota activists plan to test treaty rights in Minneapolis
July 16, 2010
- Protesters removed from White Earth Indian Reservation
July 14, 2010
- Revisiting Zebulon Pike's expedition to Minnesota
December 29, 2005
- Study: Few academic gains for American Indian students
June 30, 2010
- Professor Mary Wingerd, St. Cloud State University
- Mary Wingerd at Common Good Books July 27
- North Country, from University of Minnesota Press