Caring for elderly parents
When writer Jonathan Rauch's elderly father became incapable of taking care of himself, he found himself in a situation familiar to many other middle-aged Americans-the decline of a parent. He argues the cultural infrastructure of elder care in America is all but nonexistent.
- Jonathan Rauch: Senior writer for the National Journal, contributing editor for The Atlantic and a guest scholar at the Brookings Institution. His article "Letting Go of My Father" appears in the recent issue of The Atlantic.
- Paula Span: Author of "When the Time Comes." She also contributes to the New Old Age blog for the New York Times.
- Jonathan Rauch: "Letting Go of My Father"
- New York Times: The New Old Age
- Family Caregiver Alliance
- National Alliance for Caregiving
- "When the Time Comes"