Obama's back to school message sparks a battle
President Obama is expected to tell students to study hard and stay in school in an address that some schools will carry live, others taped and some might not show students at all, unless their parents approve. A look at why the idea of the speech flared into controversy across the country.
- Tom Weber: MPR K-12 education reporter
- Dakarai Aarons: Staff reporter for Education Week.
- Andy Smarick: Distinguished visiting fellow at Fordham Institute.
- Michael Fauntroy: Assistant professor of public policy at George Mason University.
- President Obama's Back to School Speech
- Education Week
- Andy Smarick's Blog post: The Speech Saga
- About Andy Smarick
- Michael Fauntroy's Web site