Assessing the war on drugs
Broadcast: Midmorning, 04/02/2007, 9:00 a.m.
It's been more than 35 years since Richard Nixon declared drug abuse "public enemy number one in the United States." Midmorning looks at the history and effectiveness of the war on drugs, and talks about efforts to reform the nation's drug laws.
- Timothy Lynch: Director of the Project on Criminal Justice at the Cato Institute, and the editor of "After Prohibition: An Adult Approach to Drug Policies in the 21st Century."
- John Carnevale: Former senior advisor to four drug czars. He is currently head of Carnevale Associates, a public policy firm.
- Mark Kleiman: Professor of public policy in the UCLA School of Public Affairs director of the Drug Policy Analysis program.
- About Timothy Lynch
- About John Carnevale
- PBS Frontline: Thirty Years of America's Drug War
- Office of National Drug Control Policy