Posted at 10:43 AM on April 14, 2008
by Than Tibbetts
Sunday: the Second Coming.
Francisco Liriano returned to pitch 4 2/3 innings, surrendering four runs with five walks.
• At least he didn't leave the mound in pain.
• I miss the slider.
• Let's see what he's throwing three starts from now.
A dozen games in to the 2008 season, the Twins stand at .500 with a 6-6 record. Last year, the Twins were 7-5 at this point. A few points of comparison, if I may:
• The Twins ended 2007 in the bottom half of the American League in nearly every offensive category and there aren't many significant improvements in the team's stats so far this year.
• So far, the Twins' team ERA is about equal to Santana's 2007 final line — 3.48 vs. Santana's 3.33 — good enough for second best in the AL. Santana, as far as I can tell, also bests the Twins battery in number of boos received.
• Futility is entertaining when it's not your team. ESPN quotes Tigers Manager Jim Leyland after their 11-0 drubbing at the hands of the White Sox yesterday: "It's not surprising that we're 2-10. We've been shut out four times. ... I didn't think we'd get shut out four times all year, to be honest with you."
Amen, Jimmy. Detroit was only shut out three times all last year.
For future reference, in case you need to have an argument with anyone who might argue contrary to the fact that baseball is the best of all games.