Madeleine Baran Feature Archive

An internal church memo from 2002 names three priests with "known abuse histories" who weren't on the list of "credibly accused" priests released by the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis earlier this month. (12/20/2013)
Harry Walsh wasn't included on a recent list of priests 'credibly accused' of sexual abuse. Church leaders knew his history, yet allowed him to continue working in parishes until the fall of 2011. Today Walsh teaches sex education to troubled teenagers and vulnerable adults in Wright Co., Minn. (12/19/2013)
Archbishop John Nienstedt is under investigation after being accused of improperly touching a boy, and the St. Paul police chief is frustrated with Nienstedt for failing to cooperate with an investigation into sex abuse involving priests. MPR News reporter Madeleine Baran spoke with Morning Edition host Phil Picardi about the new developments in the story. (12/18/2013)
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis announced Dec. 17 that Archbishop John Nienstedt voluntarily 'stepped aside from all public ministry' while police investigate a claim that he touched a boy on the buttocks in 2009, an allegation the archbishop denies. (12/17/2013)
St. Paul Police Chief Tom Smith said the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis is not cooperating with an ongoing criminal investigation into clergy sexual abuse. (12/17/2013)
An advance copy of the archbishop's remarks was sent to clergy throughout the archdiocese. He plans to celebrate Mass at Our Lady of Grace parish in Edina Sunday. (12/13/2013)
A Ramsey County judge has allowed to go forward a lawsuit that alleges the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis created a public nuisance by failing to disclose information about priests accused of sexually abusing minors. (12/10/2013)
A detailed look at the priests named by the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis as clergy with credible accusations of child abuse against them. (12/06/2013)
Archbishop John Nienstedt included the men in a list of 34 priests posted to an archdiocese website, 30 of whom had been credibly accused of child sexual abuse and publicly known. Nienstedt didn't say why he didn't report the allegations against the seven to police. Two of the seven men live in the Twin Cities. (12/05/2013)
Seven of the priests were not previously known by the public as abusers. Others, such as the Rev. Robert Kapoun, are already well known through lawsuits and media coverage. About one-third of the priests on the list are deceased. (12/05/2013)
The archdiocese plans to release the names of 29 priests who it says have been credibly accused of sexually abusing children on its website Thursday. (12/04/2013)
The nearly four-year battle over the list of names, which had been sealed in a 2009 lawsuit, continued in Ramsey County District Court today as attorneys for the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis argued that some of the names should not be released to the public. (12/02/2013)
The archdiocese flagged the Rev. Mark Huberty in an internal document a decade ago for sexual misconduct -- but top officials said this fall that they didn't know about his sexual misconduct until this year. Huberty was charged earlier this month with criminal sexual conduct for an alleged sexual relationship with a woman under his pastoral care. (11/26/2013)
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis said Friday it is delaying the release of the names of some priests who have sexually abused children until at least next month. (11/22/2013)
Tribal authorities on the Rosebud Sioux reservation in South Dakota are opening a criminal investigation into alleged sexual abuse of several boys and a teenager by the Rev. Clarence Vavra. The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis kept the priest in ministry after he admitted to abuse on the reservation in the 1970s. MPR News reporter Madeleine Baran talked to All Things Considered host Tom Crann about the potential legal ramifications of Monday's report. (11/12/2013)