Arts & Culture
- In 'Portrait Inside My Head,' Phillip Lopate's essays dig into the unconscious
In Phillip Lopate's latest collection of essays, he digs into his consciousness with stories about meeting with a therapist and hitting a boy while tutoring as a teen.The Daily Circuit, March 26, 2013
- In 'Hidden Cities,' urban explorer Moses Gates finds the unseen
Urban planner Moses Gates chronicles his urban adventuring in his new book, "Hidden Cities." From the top of the Notre Dame tower to the tunnels under New York City, he brings readers into the unseen world of urban life.The Daily Circuit, March 24, 2013
- Minn. Orchestra cancels more concerts as lockout continues
Still mired in a contract dispute with its musicians, the Minnesota Orchestra on Wednesday cancelled or rescheduled concerts through April 27.The Daily Circuit, March 21, 2013
- 'Les Miserables' sparks debate about live-singing in musicals
"Les Miserables" sparked a debate about the art of singing within musical films when the cast recorded their vocal performances live on set instead of a studio. Is this a new form of musical performance in film?The Daily Circuit, March 19, 2013
- Author says technology can't kill the novel
Technology is changing the way readers consume literature. Will it also change the material we are reading and how we understand it?The Daily Circuit, March 19, 2013
- Russo's 'Nate in Venice' takes readers on a character's journey of discovery
Author Richard Russo's latest novel carries his characters and readers to the streets of Venice, where a retired professor emerges from seclusion by joining a group tour with his brother.The Daily Circuit, March 17, 2013
- 'Gun Guys' author says violence reduction efforts hampered by 'tribal instinct to vilify the other'
In his new book "The Gun Guys" Dan Baum seeks to understand both the appeal of guns and the political controversy that surrounds them.The Daily Circuit, March 17, 2013
- Penumbra founder Lou Bellamy reflects on theater's near-closure
Artistic Director Lou Bellamy, who founded Penumbra Theatre 37 years ago, spoke to The Daily Circuit about what he's learned from the theater's near-death experience.The Daily Circuit, March 14, 2013
- Friday Roundtable rewind: Sheryl Sandberg's 'Lean In'
Our panelists discuss the ideas and issues raised in Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg's new book "Lean In."The Daily Circuit, March 14, 2013
- Compare special effects, then and now
Computer-generated images have become a staple of modern movies. But at what cost? Some critics think an over-reliance on CGI has undermined the art of film.The Daily Circuit, March 12, 2013
- Terry Tempest Williams on 'When Women Were Birds'
In her latest book, author and conservationist Terry Tempest Williams' tries to find meaning in the empty journals her mother left her when she passed away.The Daily Circuit, March 10, 2013
- Let's see you write a paragraph worse than this
Listeners to The Daily Circuit nominated plenty of examples of bad grammar, poor usage and creative spelling.The Daily Circuit, March 10, 2013
- 3 songs to start your parental uprising
We'll discuss the best songs to listen to when your kids are driving you mad.The Daily Circuit, March 10, 2013
- In Hollywood, when at first you don't succeed ...
What makes a film a good candidate for a remake? And when is enough enough?The Daily Circuit, March 5, 2013
- Charles Wheelan on 'Naked Statistics'
In his new book, "Naked Statistics," author and economist Charles Wheelan weaves in pop culture examples to give us the tools we need to understand the stats in and around our lives.The Daily Circuit, March 3, 2013
Spotlight topics on The Daily Circuit
MPR News Radio