New campaign to help NE MN flood victimsby Dan Kraker, Minnesota Public Radio
DULUTH, Minn. — Officials in northeast Minnesota have launched a new campaign to help homeowners who suffered damage in this summer's record flooding find the resources they need to rebuild their homes.
In Duluth alone, flooding damaged 1,700 homes. But so far, across the entire region, only 282 homeowners have applied for disaster relief loans from the Small Business Administration.
That's a crucial step. Homeowners aren't eligible for the $12 million in state Quick Start loans unless they're first denied assistance by the SBA, and by their insurance company.
Moose Lake Flood Manager Tom Paull is involved in the new campaign, called Flood Homes with Hope. He acknowledges the process can be confusing and frustrating, but says people who need help should keep trying.
"The more that you try to get help, it will become available," Paull said. "That's the key message."
The deadline to apply for an SBA loan is October 15.