Aspen Ideas Festival: future US foreign policy
Broadcast: Minnesota Public Radio News Presents, 07/24/2012, 12:00 p.m.
Three experienced diplomats and foreign policy experts discuss the options for U.S. policy around the world, in what the Aspen Ideas Festival moderator dubbed "the tryouts for Secretary of State."
- Nicholas Burns: Professor of diplomacy and international politics at Harvard University. Former undersecretary of state for political affairs. US ambassador to NATO 2001-2005 and to Greece 1997-2001. State Department spokesman 1995-1997. Worked on the National Security Council as senior director for Russia, Ukraine and Eurasia under President Bill Clinton and senior director for Soviet affairs under President George H.W. Bush.
- Robert Kagan: Senior fellow in foreign policy at Brookings Institution, and author of several books including "The World America Made." Kagan serves as a member of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's foreign affairs policy board and is co-chairman of the bipartisan Working Group on Egypt.
- James Steinberg: Dean of the Maxwell School of Syracuse University, and professor of Social Science, International Affairs, and Law. Former deputy secretary of state under Secretary Hillary Clinton. Deputy national security advisor to President Bill Clinton 1996-2000. Former director of the State Department's policy planning staff and deputy assistant secretary for analysis in the Bureau of Intelligence and Research. Former staff to the Senate Armed Services Committee.
- Jeffrey Goldberg: Moderator. National correspondent of The Atlantic. Former Middle East correspondent for The New Yorker and correspondent for The New York Times Magazine. Author of "The Prisoners."
More from MPR
- Aspen Ideas Festival: What does it take to be an effective president?
July 20, 2012
- Aspen Ideas Festival: What is the purpose of big time college sports?
July 18, 2012
- Aspen Ideas Festival: Why Women Still Can't Have it All
July 17, 2012
- Aspen Ideas Festival: Vin Weber and Melody Barnes on the issues that divide us
July 16, 2012
- Aspen Ideas Festival: Will the European Union survive?
July 16, 2012
- Aspen Ideas Festival: Admiral Mike Mullen on role of military superpower
July 10, 2012
- Aspen Ideas Festival: Michael Kranish on 'The Real Romney'
July 5, 2012