Aspen Ideas Festival: What does it take to be an effective president?
Five long-time observers of the presidency tell an Aspen Ideas Festival audience the keys to leading the country and working with Congress. The discussion features a former senator, a former White House adviser to four presidents, and three experienced award-winning journalists.
- George Mitchell: US Senator (D-Maine) 1980-1995. Senate Majority Leader 1989-1995. US special envoy for Middle East peace 2009-2011.
- David Gergen: Director of the Center for Public Leadership at the JFK School at Harvard. Senior political analyst for CNN. Served as a White House adviser to presidents Nixon, Ford, Reagan and Clinton. Author, "Eyewitness to Power."
- Andrea Mitchell: NBC News chief foreign affairs columnist and host of MSNBC's "Andrea Mitchell Reports." Covered the 2008 presidential campaign for NBC News. Author of "Talking Back," a memoir about her experiences covering 5 presidents, Congress and foreign policy.
- Joe Klein: Columnist and senior writer at TIME. Author of "The Natural: Bill Clinton's Misunderstood Presidency," and the novel "Primary Colors," which was inspired by the 1992 presidential election.
- Michael Kranish: Boston Globe's deputy Washington bureau chief. Co-author of "The Real Romney." Co-author of "John F. Kerry: The Complete Biography," and "Flight from Monticello: Thomas Jefferson at War." Former reporter at the Miami Herald.
- Ron Brownstein: Moderator. Political director of The Atlantic and editorial director and weekly columnist, National Journal. Pulitzer Prize finalist for his coverage of the 1996 and 2004 presidential campaigns.
More from MPR
- Aspen Ideas Festival: What is the purpose of big time college sports?
July 18, 2012
- Aspen Ideas Festival: Why Women Still Can't Have it All
July 17, 2012
- Aspen Ideas Festival: Vin Weber and Melody Barnes on the issues that divide us
July 16, 2012
- Aspen Ideas Festival: Top political analysts size up 2012 election
July 10, 2012
- Aspen Ideas Festival: Michael Kranish on 'The Real Romney'
July 5, 2012
- Aspen Ideas Festival panel on health care reform
July 2, 2012