Extent of flood damage to private property still unknownby Dan Kraker, Minnesota Public Radio
DULUTH, Minn. — Duluth officials said today they are transitioning from assessment to repair mode in the wake of last week's catastrophic flooding.
City crews have spent the past several days documenting the damage to public infrastructure, which Mayor Don Ness estimates to be around $80 million. Ness said the city has identified 340 sites that need repair, mainly streets and storm water sewers.
"That's a real key for city staff right now is to make sure that the stormwater system that was so stressed by this storm, that we clear the materials out of there, so when we have the next rain event we don't have additional damage."
FEMA officials begin assessing damage in the region Tuesday. They'll arrive in Duluth and hard-hit areas of Carlton County on Thursday.
Local leaders are banking on federal funds for the recovery effort.
The extent of damage to private property is still unknown, Ness said.
"We know there's going to be additional need, that there will be private property damage that isn't going to be covered by insurance companies or by FEMA."
In Carlton County, nearly 800 homes have been damaged by floods. About 100 are uninhabitable. And like in Duluth, few property owners have flood insurance.
Northeast Minnesota Floods • Video: Dramatic floodwaters sweep through Duluth
• Photos: Duluth, northeast Minnesota awash
• Photos: Gooseberry Falls at full trottle
• Photos: The wake of the flood
• Photos: Sandbagging in Moose Lake
• Story: Frantic search for Duluth zoo animals
• Story: Duluth will turn to FEMA for help
- All Things Considered, 06/25/2012, 5:22 p.m.