16-year-old boy charged in Mpls. shootingby Brandt Williams, Minnesota Public Radio
MINNEAPOLIS — Hennepin County prosecutors on Tuesday charged a 16-year-old boy in the shooting death of another teenager in Minneapolis last week.
According to the petition filed in Hennepin County Juvenile Court, several witnesses say they saw the suspect shoot 16-year-old Trequan Sykes twice in the back. The shooting happened last Friday afternoon in a south Minneapolis alley.
The petition says the suspect was identified in a photo lineup by several of the witnesses. Police say after he was arrested, the shooting suspect admitted to killing Sykes. And they say the young man had been in a fight with Sykes' brother prior to the shooting.
MPR News is not naming the shooting suspect because he's a juvenile.
A spokesman for the Hennepin County Attorney's office says they expect the 16-year-old suspect to be tried as an adult.