Dayton stalls on fate of deadly force billby Euan Kerr, Minnesota Public Radio
ST. PAUL, Minn. — Gov. Mark Dayton says he won't reveal until later Monday whether he'll veto a bill that calls for greater use of deadly force in self defense. The House and Senate passed the legislation last week.
On the MPR News program The Daily Circuit the governor said he takes seriously concerns from law enforcement officials who believe such a law would endanger them in their work. Dayton said current law already allows the use of reasonable force.
"If somebody is attacking somebody in a life-threatening situation outside of their home, if somebody has a weapon, and we have a concealed carry law in Minnesota, somebody can use that as long as they are exercising reasonable caution," Dayton said.
The governor has until midnight tonight to act on the legislation.