New Republicans shape state budget debate
As the Minnesota Legislature wrestles over the budget with DFL Gov. Mark Dayton, the first-term GOP lawmakers represent a key voting bloc. There are 30 new Republicans in the House and 19 in the Senate. Four GOP members of the freshman class share their perspectives on the shutdown and the budget impasse.
- King Banaian: Minnesota state representative, R-St. Cloud. Banaian is an economist at St. Cloud State University.
- Gretchen Hoffman: Minnesota state senator, R-Vergas. Hoffman is a registered nurse.
- John Howe: Minnesota state senator, R-Red Wing. Howe owns and manages rental property.
- John Kriesel: Minnesota state representative, R-Cottage Grove. Kriesel works in marketing. He served in the Iraq war as a staff sergeant in the Minnesota National Guard.
- Midday, 07/14/2011, 11:00 a.m.