Man charged in drug overdose death of Minn. teenby Madeleine Baran, Minnesota Public Radio
Minneapolis — Anoka County prosecutors filed a third-degree murder charge Monday against a man accused of providing a hallucinogen to a group of young people in Blaine.
Trevor Vance Robinson-Davis, 19, died after taking the rave party drug 2C-E. Several others were hospitalized.
Timothy Lamere, 21, allegedly provided the drug to the group. Police found him passed out in the snow when they responded to a 911 call at the Blaine home on March 17, according to the criminal complaint. The complaint said police found a bottle filled with a "grayish powder substance" in Lamere's pants pocket.
Those at the party told police that Lamere arrived at the home with the bottle, and told them the drug was called 2C-I and would cause hallucinations, the complaint said. The substance was later identified as 2C-E, a similar drug.
Witnesses said Lamere "took out the bottle and offered the substance to anyone who wanted some," according to the complaint.
The complaint said Lamere divided the drug into lines and inhaled it. Robinson-Davis inhaled the drug next and "reacted to the drug by punching walls, breaking items, starting and having dilated pupils and yelling," the complaint said.
He then appeared to stop breathing and was eventually brought to Unity Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Preliminary autopsy results said the death was due to cardiac arrest "attributed to toxicity associated with the presence of drugs in the '2C' category." Lab tests confirmed that the drug was 2C-E.
In response to the overdose, U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar said she plans to introduce legislation to ban 2C-E.
The Drug Enforcement Administration has said 2C-E is considered a controlled substance under federal law. That law says drugs with a similar chemical structure and similar effects to illegal drugs are also illegal.
But Klobuchar said putting 2C-E on the list of controlled substances would ease prosecution efforts.