American Heart Association 7 steps
The American Heart Association is meeting this week and has issued guidelines for ideal cardiovascular health. It's called Life's Simple Seven. Below are the guidelines with links about each.
1. Get active. The American Heart association recommends people get at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise or 75 minutes of intense exercise per week.
2. Control cholesterol. The heart association recommends keeping it below 200 mg/dL.
3. Eat better. Eat fruits, vegetables and whole grain foods. Also eat fish twice a week. Aim to eat less than 300 mg of cholesterol and less than 1500 mg of sodium per day.
4. Manage blood pressure. Lifestyle changes such as eating healthy, getting physical activity and managing stress can help lower blood pressure. Blood pressure should be below 120/80.
5. Lose weight. The heart association recommends having a body mass index of less than 25.
6. Reduce blood sugar. Controlling glucose can slow the progression of long-term complications like diabetes. The heart association recommends keeping a fasting blood sugar level below 100 mg/dL
7. Stop smoking.