How to close the achievement gap
One of the great challenges for educators is the widening achievement gap between students of different races and different economic backgrounds. The directors of two charter schools join Midmorning to discuss their efforts to close that gap, and create a culture of achievement among minority and low-income students.
- Tim King: Founder and CEO of Urban Prep Charter Academy. He was recently named People Magazine's hero of the year.
- Sehba Ali: founder of the KIPP Heartwood Academy and currently chief academic officer of KIPP's Bay Area Schools.
More from MPR
- Schools work to enroll minority students in AP classes
November 9, 2010
- Graduation test scores in Minn. show modest gains
May 25, 2010
- For Minnesota's new Teacher of the Year, achievement gap is an everyday reality
May 2, 2010