Special session for flood relief delayedby Tom Scheck, Minnesota Public Radio
St. Paul, Minn. — Gov. Tim Pawlenty's office says a special session tentatively scheduled for Monday to deal with the flooding in southern Minnesota has been delayed.
Officials say the state is waiting for the White House to declare the region a disaster area. The federal government is still reviewing the request.
Pawlenty submitted a disaster request for 21 counties in southern Minnesota. Preliminary estimates say the Sept. 22 floods amount to $64 million in damages.
If a disaster declaration is made, the federal government will pick up 75 percent of the costs. The special session is needed so the state can pay for the remaining 25 percent.
Pawlenty's spokesman said the governor intends to call a special session shortly after receiving the federal declaration.