Chemical exposure at Valleyfair sends 16 to hospitalby Lorna Benson, Minnesota Public Radio
St. Paul, Minn. — Sixteen people were sent to the hospital after being exposed to a pool cleaning chemical at Valleyfair Amusement Park Thursday.
Shakopee Police Captain Craig Robson says the chemical is a bleach-like product called sodium hydrochloride. He said only Valleyfair guests in the Soak City water park were exposed to the chemical.
Eleven patients were treated at St. Francis Hospital in Shakopee, and two were admitted to the hospital. A spokesperson for Allina Hospitals and Clinics says the patients complained of irritated airwaves and eyes, and ranged in age from 7-38 years old.
Five other patients were sent to other area hospitals.
A message left with Valleyfair was not immediately returned.