1973: Breaking ground at Orchestra Hallby Marc Sanchez, Minnesota Public Radio
Minneapolis, Minn. — During maestro Stanislaw Skrowaczewski's tenure as musical director (1960-79), he changed the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra's name to the Minnesota Orchestra.
He also helped guide a big physical change for the orchestra: its new home at 1111 Nicollet Ave. in Minneapolis.
The orchestra had previously been performing at the Northrup Auditorium at the University of Minnesota.
This report originally aired June 22, 1973. The first Orchestra Hall performance was Oct. 14, 1974.
In April, the Minnesota Orchestra announced plans for a $100 million upgrade to Orchestra Hall.