U of M officials ready to move forward with budget cutsby Toni Randolph, Minnesota Public Radio
St. Paul, Minn. — University of Minnesota officials are ready to move forward with their planned budget cuts for next year now that lawmakers have approved a state budget.
The university had already planned for furloughs, pay cuts and higher tuition based on the unallotments that Gov. Tim Pawlenty made last year. Those allotments became law during Monday morning's special session.
Richard Pfutzenreuter says the state cut university funding by more than 11 percent in the current fiscal year. The cuts will be more than 5 percent in the next budget year.
"With the legislature and the governor wrangling about the budget, it's just been a bad nightmare," Pfutzenteuter said. "The unfortunate thing is now we're being told the nightmare's going to last another couple of years."
The University's Board of Regents meets next month to approve a new budget.