Is nuclear power part of the clean energy future?
As world leaders debate climate change measures in Copenhagen, proponents of nuclear power, including some environmental groups, say it can be an important source of carbon-free energy. Here in Minnesota, there are efforts to end the moratorium on new nuclear plants. Critics say cost, and the issue of where to store the waste, are reasons why nuclear will never be part of the solution.
- Joyce Peppin: Minnesota State Representative, R-Rodgers. She has sponsored legislation to end Minnesota's moratorium on new nuclear plants.
- Bill Grant: Director of the Midwest office of the Izaak Walton League, a conservation organization.
- Jim Riccio: Nuclear policy analyst for Greenpeace.
- Steve Kerekes: Spokesperson for the Nuclear Energy Institute.
More from MPR
- Slideshow: The Prairie Island nuclear facility
May 26, 2009
- Community plans rally to oppose Prairie Island expansion
November 26, 2009
- Reps. Paulsen and Walz call to lift ban on nuclear power
November 24, 2009
- Safety drill this week at Monticello nuclear plant
August 17, 2009
- About Joyce Peppin
- Bill Grant nuclear power op-ed in Star-Tribune
- Greenpeace on nuclear power
- Nuclear Energy Institute