The measure of poverty
Broadcast: Midmorning, 09/11/2009, 9:06 a.m.
The annual report from the Census Bureau shows the nation's poverty rate climbed in 2008. But many analysts argue the federal government's measurements for poverty are outdated, and give an inaccurate picture of what's going on.
- Maria Hanratty: Associate professor at the Humphrey Institute, where she studies the economics of poverty.
- Craig Helmstetter: Consulting scientist with the Wilder Foundation.
- Linda Gibbs: New York City's deputy mayor for health and human services.
More from MPR
- Minn. non-profits announce $2.2M fund to help low-income families
July 7, 2009
- Homelessness in Hennepin County on the rise
July 1, 2009
- Advocates say budget cuts target most vulnerable
June 25, 2009
- Homeless teen shares her story
June 11, 2009
- About Maria Hanratty
- About Craig Helmstetter
- Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States