10-city tour by Minn. development officials beginsby Elizabeth Baier, Minnesota Public Radio
St. Paul, Minn. — The Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development will kick of a series of events around the state today to talk about economic development and the stimulus package.
Officials will visit 10 Minnesota communities over a five-week period to discuss an overview of the economy, what happened in this year's legislative session and how federal stimulus dollars money will be spent in the state.
The "Advancing Economic Prosperity: Partnering to Shape Our Future" sessions will last for three hours each and are planned for Granite Falls, Mankato, Winona, Roseville, Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Duluth, Fergus Falls, St. Cloud and Brainerd.
"This will be an opportunity to talk with our partners around the state," Commissioner Dan McElroy said in a statement. "Our team will provide updates on what's new in economic development and how Minnesota communities can tap into our programs and services."
Breakout sessions will focus on some of the tools that DEED offers for business and community development and how the agency is preparing for the future in terms of job growth, economic development and workforce innovations.
The sessions will also include a time for questions and answers, and a resource fair featuring representatives from state and federal agencies.
Registration will begin 30 minutes before each event. Details are available at www.PositivelyMinnesota.com.
The schedule includes visits to:
- Granite Falls: 9 a.m. to noon, July 23, Minnesota West Community and Technical College 1593 11th Ave.
- North Mankato: 9 a.m. to noon, July 28, South Central College, 1920 Lee Blvd.
- Winona: 1 to 4 p.m., July 29, Southeast Technical College, 1250 Homer Road
- Roseville: 1 to 4 p.m., Aug. 3, Unisys, 2470 Highcrest Road
- Grand Rapids: 1 to 4 p.m., Aug. 4, Itasca Community College, 1851 E. Highway 169
- Bemidji: 9 a.m. to noon, Aug. 5, Bemidji State University, American Indian Resource Center, 1500 Birchmont Drive N.E.
- Duluth: 1:30 to 4:30 p.m., Aug. 13, University of Minnesota-Duluth, Griggs Center, 1049 University Drive
- St. Cloud: 1 to 4 p.m., Aug. 17, St. Cloud Public Library, 1300 W. St. Germain St.
- Fergus Falls: 1:30 to 4:30 p.m., Aug. 20, Minnesota State Community and Technical College, Legacy Hall, 1414 College Way
- Brainerd: 1 to 4 p.m., Aug. 27, Central Lakes College, 501 W. College Drive