Dozens sickened by ammonia leak at pork plant
Worthington, Minn. (AP) — About 40 workers at a pork processing plant in Worthington were taken to the hospital after an ammonia leak made them sick.
Officials say the leak happened about 10:20 a.m. Tuesday at JBS, formerly Swift and Co. The leak was contained when emergency staff arrived on the scene.
Sanford Regional Hospital Worthington says in a statement it treated between 40 to 50 patients. Five patients were admitted and in fair condition late Tuesday afternoon.
JBS spokesman Chandler Keys says ammonia is used in refrigeration and freezing operations at the plant.
An evacuation was limited to the area of the leak, and the rest of the plant kept operating. Keys says after the leak was fixed, the affected area also resumed operations.