Minneapolis school principal returns to work after forced leaveby Tom Weber, Minnesota Public Radio
A Minneapolis school principal was back at work Monday about two weeks after being put on leave following an exchange with a school board member.
Minneapolis — There was no school for students in Minneapolis Public Schools on Monday, but Tim Cadotte was present for a staff-only day at Burroughs School, on the city's south side.
Cadotte said Monday morning that he'll be ready when students return Tuesday.
"I'm going to plant myself right in the middle of the atrium for everyone to see me and I think it will end up being a huge love fest," he said. "There's absolutely nothing that I'm nervous about. The only thing I'm nervous about is I have a couple weeks of work to catch up on."
Two weeks ago Cadotte was placed on leave after an argument with school board member Chris Stewart in which allegations of racism were reportedly leveled against Cadotte.
None of the parties nor the district has commented on that incident. But in a letter to Burroughs families last week, Associate Superintendent Marianne Norris said Cadotte would return to active duty - even while the investigation continues.
The move to place Cadotte on leave was met with strong opposition from many parents, students and other community members. A group of seven lawmakers - including House Speaker Margaret Anderson Kelliher - signed a letter demanding his reinstatement.
The letter announcing his reinstatement also noted that Marsha Seltz would stay at Burroughs for the next couple weeks to "support Mr. Cadotte." Seltz was named interim principal when Cadotte was place on leave.