Operation Falcon nabs 112 fugitives in Minnesotaby Brandt Williams, Minnesota Public Radio
Minneapolis, Minn. — Federal law enforcement officials announced Monday the capture and arrest of 112 fugitives in Minnesota. The arrests, which took place during the last week of June, were part of a nationwide crackdown called Operation Falcon.
The initiative uses a combination of federal, state and local law enforcement authorities. The suspects had outstanding felony warrants for a variety offenses including assault, narcotics, robbery and one was wanted for a homicide in St. Paul.
Chris Connolly works with the U.S. Marshals. He says one suspect was arrested because he was a sex offender who had failed to register himself.
"Original case, I believe, was about 10 years ago, but he was off paperwork, he was not accounted for. And with sex offenders, we consider that unacceptable. So we tracked him down and arrested him up in the Champlain area," Connolly said.
Connolly said the operation was initiated by the U.S. Marshals service three years ago. He says the current effort in Minnesota netted more fugitives than in previous years.