One catastrophe away from poverty
Broadcast: Midmorning, 10/03/2007, 10:06 a.m.
A health crisis, divorce or job loss -- just one of these circumstances is enough to send an increasing number of Americans into poverty. An author who has studied the working poor explores the barriers to getting ahead.
- Katherine Newman: Sociology professor at Princeton and author of "The Missing Class." She's the author of many books on poverty and working poor, including "No Shame in My Game" and "Chutes and Ladders."
More from MPR
- Lack of grocery stores may result in poor nutrition for N. Mpls
August 24, 2007
- Federal minimum wage goes up; push is on for raise in Minnesota
July 24, 2007
- Poverty rate for Minnesota children soars
May 8, 2007
- Minnesotans come face to face with poverty
April 30, 2007
- Falling Behind
January 27, 2003