OccupyMN arrests, Lake Superior superbacteria, rural post offices close
Posted at 7:58 AM on November 18, 2011
by Michael Olson
Filed under: Around MN
11 arrested in Minneapolis OccupyMN protest
After the arrests, the protesters marched off the bridge and regrouped at a rally at the Hennepin County Government Center plaza. Participants in the Occupy Minnesota movement have been at the plaza since Oct. 7 (MPR News).
The arrests took place during a day of protest across the country.
In rallies across the US on Thursday:
- In Los Angeles about about 500 marchers chanted anti-bank slogans; more than two dozen were arrested
- City officials in Dallas evicted a protesters' camp, detaining nearly 20 people
- Arrests were made in Portland, Oregon, as activists tried to "occupy" a city centre Wells Fargo bank branch
- Dozens more demonstrators were held by police in Las Vegas, Nevada and St Louis, Missouri
- Protesters shut the river bridge in Chicago, Illinois during rush hour, while activists in Seattle, Washington closed the University Bridge
- Rallies were held at bridges considered in disrepair in Miami, Florida; Detroit, Michigan; and Boston, Massachusetts, as activists called for infrastructure projects to create jobs
- There were smaller protests elsewhere, including in Denver, Colorado and Washington DC(BBC)
Duluth City Hall sets Occupy deadline
Police Chief Gordon Ramsay said in a news conference Thursday afternoon that the Occupy group at Civic Center Plaza has until 11:59 p.m. Sunday to reduce the camp to one warming tent and remove all other items (Duluth News Tribune). OccupyMN gets strong support in St. Cloud (WJON).
Superbacteria found in Lake Superior
A recent University of Minnesota project revealed that the release of treated municipal wastewater - even wastewater treated by the highest-quality treatment technology - has a significant effect on the amount of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in Lake Superior surface water (Ashland Current).
Closing post offices latest hardship for Minn. small towns
Seven small town Minnesota post offices are scheduled to close for good Friday and Saturday, the latest setback for towns which have seen a steady exit of community institutions and businesses over the years (MPR News).
Norovirus sickens dozens of Rochester students
A Rochester Middle School is telling parents to keep their kids at home if they're showing any signs of being sick.Officials at John Adams Middle School say more than 90 students called out sick Wednesday and nearly 60 called out sick Thursday (KAAL).
Charges likely for Last Place on Earth
Attorneys for both the City of Duluth and St. Louis County said during a court hearing on Thursday that charges probably are going to be filed against the Last Place on Earth for selling synthetic drugs (Duluth News Tribune).
Bachmann gives students a 101 on issues, then gets lectured
With the air of a college instructor, Michele Bachmann essentially gave college students a Conservative 101 on the economy, national and foreign affairs and other important issues on Thursday in Iowa. But when the Republican presidential candidate took questions, some students turned the tables on their lecturer (CNN).
Political parties make cases for new district maps (Pioneer Press).