Statewide: October 7, 2010 Archive
Posted at 9:22 AM on October 7, 2010
by Dan Gunderson
Today (Oct 7th) marks the 100th anniversary of a massive forest fire that roared across northern Minnesota in 1910.
The fire wiped out hundreds of thousands of acres of forest, destroyed much of the town of Baudette, and left little but ashes of the communities of Pitt, Graceton and Cedar Spur.
It's estimated 40 people died and thousands were left homeless by the fire. Lake of the Woods County Historical Society says the fire led to the creation of the Minnesota Forestry Service with a network of forest rangers.
Events commemorating the fire start this evening with a fire survivors meal.The menu includes what organizers believe would have been served in 1910; ham, biscuits, beans, canned peaches and coleslaw.
Church bells in Baudette will ring at 6pm to mark the time the fire was nearing the city 100 years ago. Activities will continue throughout the weekend.
Posted at 1:43 PM on October 7, 2010
by Elizabeth Baier
Filed under: Southeast Minnesota
The Mayo Clinic today pledged $300,000 to help with cleanup and recovery efforts in flood-damaged areas of southeastern Minnesota.
The donation was distributed equally to the Southeast Minnesota Chapter of the Red Cross, the Salvation Army of Rochester, and the United Way of Olmsted County for flood relief efforts.
"This natural disaster has substantially affected the communities in which we live and work," Mayo Clinic CEO John Noseworthy said in a statement. "Many people, including our colleagues, our patients and our neighbors suffered losses and property damage. It's important that we do everything we can to help these individuals and communities recover as quickly as possible."
Mayo officials have also put out a call to employees to volunteer with clean up and recovery efforts.
Preliminary damage assessment reports indicate that 5,326 homes were affected by flooding in 17 counties.
Gov. Tim Pawlenty has tentatively scheduled a special legislative session for Oct. 11 to ensure that state funding is available to help southern Minnesota residents clean up from last month's flooding.
The governor's office says a preliminary damage estimate from the September 22 flooding is $64.1 million. If a disaster declaration is made, the federal government will pick up 75 percent of the cost. Pawlenty and legislative leaders have pledged that the state will pick up the rest of the tab.