Posted at 11:03 AM on January 3, 2012
by Tim Pugmire
Republicans in the Minnesota Senate are accepting applications through the end of the week for a new communications director.
The powerful position was previously held by Michael Brodkorb, who was fired last month. Bordkorb's ouster followed the resignation of Sen. Amy Koch, R-Buffalo, as majority leader. Koch stepped down amid allegations of an inappropriate relationship with a unnamed staffer. Brodkorb's attorney would not comment on whether his client was the staffer.
Senate Republicans posted the job on Dec. 22, five days before electing Sen. Dave Senjem, R-Rochester, to replace Koch as majority leader.
The majority caucus will apparently fill the staff vacancy as it tries to solve a lingering financial problem. Leaders must soon trim the Senate's operating expenses by $2 million, under last summer's budget agreement that ended the state government shutdown. Brodkorb earned $90,000 a year.
Here's the job posting:
Executive Assistant to the Majority Caucus (Open to Public ) Minnesota Senate Job Posting
Date Posted: 12/22/2011 Application Deadline: 01/05/2012
Status: Full-Time Regular Benefit-Eligible
Office: Majority Caucus Reports To: Executive Director, Rules Committee
Primary Responsibilities: • Act as Communications Director of Majority Caucus.
• Under the direction of the Senate Majority Leader, provide media relations and public information assistance to the Majority Caucus.
• Coordinate press activity and media messages on behalf of the Majority Leader and Majority Caucus, including news releases, press conferences and press statements.
• Resolves complex media relations issues and provides assistance to members of the caucus.
• Oversee and manage the Majority communications staff.
• Maintain daily awareness of local, state, and national government issues.
Qualifications: • Media relations experience in a legislative environment desirable.
• Political astuteness and familiarity with all phases of print and electronic journalism.
• Strong organizational, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
• Strong oral and written communications skills.
• Ability to relate well with the public and deal with a variety of complex and confidential tasks.
• Ability to work long hours, including nights and weekends and meet tight deadlines.
Application Procedure: To apply submit : Resume Cover Letter to:
75 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Room 208
St. Paul, MN 55155-1606
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER