MPR has a story this morning that said the candidates for governor are making a plan to shift low income Minnesotans from two state health programs into a federal program. Both of the endorsed candidates for governor, DFLer Margaret Anderson Kelliher and Republican Tom Emmer, are talking about the issue on the campaign trail.
Here's where all of the candidates stand on whether to opt in to Medical Assistance.
Margaret Anderson Kelliher (Democrat): Supports it. She argues that Minnesota stands to gain roughly $1.4 billion in federal matching funds if the state spends an extra $188 million. Listen
Mark Dayton (Democrat): Supports it. He initially raised concerns about the added cost but said on Monday that he supports the idea. Listen
Tom Emmer (Republican): Opposes it. Emmer calls the MA expansion "Obamacare" and said Minnesota should have control over how its state health programs are run. Listen
Matt Entenza (Democrat): Supports it. He argues that failing to enroll in MA means hospitals across the state would be forced to increase charity care to treat low income individuals. Listen
Tom Horner (Independence Party): Supports it. He said the state should opt in to MA and then work to solve any problems with it. Horner also said hospitals would be forced to increase charity care under the current system. Listen
Republican Tom Emmer made his campaign for governor official today when he filed his election paperwork.
Emmer appeared at the Minnesota Secretary of State's office with his running mate Annette Meeks and GOP legislative candidates from throughout the state. During a news conference, Emmer said he's running as part of a unified team of Republicans made up of regular Minnesotans.
"This is more than just some grabbing their hand and saying you know have have you ever thought of running for office?," Emmer said. "These people are actually coming forward saying I don't like the direction that this country is moving. I don't like thre direction that this state is moving. They're coming forward and they're saying I'm not going to complain about it. I'm going to be part of the solution."
The DFL-endorsed candidate for governor, Margaret Anderson Kelliher, filed earlier in the morning with her running mate John Gunyou. Kelliher said she was excited about filing for office, as well as continuing the work of a statewide campaign focused on Minnesota values.
"Values of making sure that our K-12 education system is strong, that our early childhood is even stronger, that in public higher education we're living up to our great promise in this state." Kelliher said. "Making sure that we are doing well by all Minnesotans in the area of health care, and creating more jobs in this state."
Kelliher is facing a primary election challenge on August 10. One of her DFL opponents, Mark Dayton, filed his election paperwork Monday after announcing his running mate. Former state representative Matt Entenza is expected to do the same later this week.
Governor Pawlenty announced on his Facebook page that he'll be making his third trip to New Hampshire on July 10th. The newspaper says Pawlenty, who visited the state in December and March, will speak before the Strafford County Republican Committee summer picnic at Guppey Park in Dover, NH.
The Union Leader also quotes Pawlenty's spokesman saying Pawlenty will make other stops during the trip.
Robyne Robinson, Fox9's news anchor, says Democrat Matt Entenza has asked her to be his running mate in the 2010 race for governor.
Robinson also told MPR's Tom Crann that she's thinking about the offer and will decide before the filing deadline: Listen
The news around a possible Entenza/Robinson ticket has been political catnip for the chattering class. Entenza wouldn't confirm or deny that he's offered the position to Robinson.
Entenza is running in the DFL primary against former U.S. Sen. Mark Dayton and MN House Speaker Margaret Anderson Kelliher.
You can listen to Robinson's full interview tonight on MPR's All Things Considered.
Republican Tom Emmer's campaign for governor announced today that it has notified the Minnesota Campaign Finance Board that Emmer's legislative campaign made a 2008 donation that exceeded the legal limit. Emmer's Minnesota House campaign reported giving $250 to a group called You Can Run International. The group's front man, Bradlee Dean, has been criticized for making controversial statements about gays.
Emmer's connection with the group was first raised by the website Minnesota Independent when it wrote about You Can Run International's relationship with the GOP.
Emmer's campaign spokesman told the Minnesota Independent that Emmer never gave any money to the group. The spokesman, Chris Van Guilder, later confirmed to MPR News that Emmer gave $250 to You Can Run International. That's $150 more than the legal limit.
"We have also begun working with the campaign finance board to rectify the situation," Van Guilder said in an e-mail.
Update: Van Guilder now says the $250 wasn't a donation (or a "non-profit contribution" as listed on the campaign forms) but was "used to purchase tickets for volunteers of Tom's House Campaign to attend a dinner event." Van Guilder says that would mean it's not a violation.
He said they'll continue to work with the Campaign Finance Board over compliance.
Posted at 5:28 PM on May 25, 2010
by Tim Pugmire
Filed under: MN Legislature
Gov. Pawlenty today vetoed a sweeping game and fish bill passed in the closing hours of the 2010 legislative session.
Pawlenty signaled last week that the bill could be in trouble when he said he had deep concerns over several provisions. One sore spot was the language allowing anglers to fish with two lines. Another was the provision Sen.Satveer Chaudhary, DFL-Fridley, got included to improve the walleye population on a northern Minnesota lake where he owns a cabin. Republican Senators have asked for an ethics panel inquiry of Chaudhary's actions .
In a veto message to legislative leaders, Pawlenty said the bill would have established a harmful precedent for managing natural resources.
The bill also included a new program to pay landowners to allow public hunting access, free fishing for kids under 16 and a earlier start for the duck hunting season.