Posted at 8:44 AM on December 21, 2007
by Tom Scheck
Filed under: Daily Digest
A group of DFL lawmakers will hold a news conference today to criticize the state and federal response to the flooding in the southeastern Minnesota.
The DNR proposes a four walleye limit.
Recent incidents have some calling for tougher screening standards for coaches.
Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak and Minneapolis Police Chief Tim Dolan rip the video created by Hennepin County Sheriff Rich Stanek.
WCCO's Don Shelby, who hosted the video, says he feels a "bit snookered."
DFL House Transportation Chair Bernie Lieder tells the Crookston Times why a panel charged with investigating the 35W bridge collapse hired a law firm to help with the bridge investigation.
MPR says the Federal government's decision on a California law restricting greenhouse gas emissions could have an impact in Minnesota.
The Pi Press says the state's wage law gets its first test.
ECM Publishers says some GOP members of the Minnesota House still feel the effects of their votes on the Northstar Commuter Rail line.
DHS simplified the application forms for state subsidized health insurance.
Gov. Pawlenty appoints a Chanhassen man to the Met Council.
Abigail Taylor's father talks about the importance of the new pool safety law. DFL Sen. Amy Klobuchar is mentioned.
The Jewish Journal of greater Los Angeles has a q and a with DFL Rep. Keith Ellison.
GOP Rep. Michele Bachmann doesn't like the new energy law.
Bachmann also delivered this week's House GOP radio address.
Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassly says it's not too late to act on the Farm Bill. DFL Rep. Collin Peterson is mentioned.
MPR says the new FCC ownership rules will have little impact in Minnesota.
DFL U.S. Senate candidate Al Franken will appear on MPR's Midday today.
WCCO says "What's up with Jim Ramstad?" DFL State Sen. Terri Bonoff says she's running no matter the circumstances.
The Jewish Journal also says Muslims feel snubbed in the presidential race. Ellison is mentioned.
Gov. Pawlenty's "Sam's Club Republican" phrase is mentioned in this National Journal story on Presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee.
The Digest will be taking a break next week. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday Season!
Posted at 10:30 AM on December 21, 2007
by Tom Scheck
DFL U.S. Senate candidate Al Franken will be on Midday at 11 this morning. It's part of the Meet the Candidate series. DFL Senate candidate Mike Ciresi was on Midday earlier this week. DFLers Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer and Jim Cohen have also been on the show in the last few weeks. GOP Sen. Norm Coleman is expected to be on in the future.
Posted at 12:27 PM on December 21, 2007
by Tom Scheck
Here they are. Thanks for everyone who made suggestions.
10) "What do you think about that?" - Idaho Senator Larry Craig after handing his business card to a MSP police officer after being arrested for lewd conduct in a Minneapolis bathroom
9) "Four words disgust us today, and those four words are `AFSCME endorsed Lori Swanson," AFSCME Executive Director Eliot Seide at a news conference in the hallway outside Attorney General Lori Swanson's Capitol office. Seide said Swanson pressured attorneys in her office against forming a union.
8) "Everything is on the table... I will be moving to consider and put on the table a gas tax increase," Gov. Pawlenty on the "Almanac" news program in the days after the I-35W bridge collapse. .
7) "The depth of ineptitude at the top of MnDOT has got to stop. We need someone in there that is a professional, that knows engineering, that knows transportation. And that is not Carol Molnau." DFL Senate Transportation Chair Steve Murphy on Transportation Commissioner Carol Molnau.
6) "We will never compromise safety. On the bridge we just had collapse my daughter drives that twice a day. If you really believe that any of us would compromise the safety of the motoring public you're in the wrong place. Because we would not," Lt. Gov. (and Transportation Commissioner) Carol Molnau at her first news conference after the bridge collapse.
5) "There is already agreement made. They are going to get half of Iraq and that is going to be a terrorist safe haven zone where they can go ahead and bring about more attacks in the Middle East," GOP Rep. Michele Bachmann on what she said at the time was Iran's secret plan to divide Iraq.
4) "As the water hole shrinks the animals start to look at each other differently," GOP Rep. Marty Seifert on the fight for money in the waning days of the legislative session.
3) "I don't know anyone who goes to a bar to get healthy," DFL Rep. Tom Rukavina on the statewide smoking ban...
1) (tie) "You don't celebrate paying off your credit cards by going out on a spending spree. You don't celebrate getting out of Weight Watchers by going over to the all-you-can-eat buffet. So our message to the Legislature is: Push away from the table. Put your fork down," Gov. Pawlenty on the appetite for more spending at the Legislature.
1) (tie) "A bridge in America just shouldn't fall down," DFL Sen. Amy Klobuchar in the days following the 35W bridge collapse...