Did the New York Times suggest John McCain had an affair with a lobbyist? The issue became a moot legal point this week when Vicki Iseman dropped her lawsuit against the newspaper over an article last year that many people -- myself included -- thought bent over backwards to make the suggestion without offering a shred of evidence.
In exchange, the paper agreed to publish an op-ed piece from her lawyers.
Let's the revisionism begin!
In its "Note to Readers" on Friday (also part of the settlement), the Times said:
The article did not state, and The Times did not intend to conclude, that Ms. Iseman had engaged in a romantic affair with Senator McCain or an unethical relationship on behalf of her clients in breach of the public trust.
Let's look at what the article said again:
Convinced the relationship had become romantic, some of his top advisers intervened to protect the candidate from himself -- instructing staff members to block the woman's access, privately warning her away and repeatedly confronting him, several people involved in the campaign said on the condition of anonymity.
That was the story's second paragraph.
When the article came out, every major journalism critic and blog covered the story. When the issued died this week, it died quietly, almost as if it didn't matter in the first place.
(h/t: Dan Kennedy)(2 Comments)
One of the top stories in the country right now is a report that an arrest is near in the killing of Washington intern Chandra Levy eight years ago.
According to the Washington Post:
Sources with knowledge of the investigation who spoke under condition of anonymity told The Post that police plan to arrest Ingmar Guandique. The 27-year-old Salvadoran immigrant attacked two women at knifepoint in Rock Creek Park around the time of Levy's disappearance in May 2001. He was convicted in those attacks and is serving a 10-year sentence in federal prison in California.
The Sunday newspaper headlines could also say, "(Former Congressman) Gary Condit didn't do it."
Condit, who lost a re-election bid in 2002, had maintained his innocence and said he was the victim of overzealous prosecutors and a rabid media.
"It is unfortunate that an insatiable appetite for sensationalism blocked so many from searching for the real answers for so long," Condit said on Saturday according to the Post. "I had always hoped to have the opportunity to tell my side of the story, but too many were not prepared to listen. Now I plan to do so, but I will have no further comments on this story at this time."(2 Comments)