Posted at 9:01 AM on September 16, 2005
by Ben Tesch
Here are my picks for the Cy Young this year, along with the other popular candidates so you can make the choice as well:
1. Bartolo Colon (19-7, 3.46 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 145 Ks)
2. Johan Santana (13-7, 3.17 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 207 Ks)
3. Mark Buerhle (15-8, 3.21 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 132 Ks)
4. Jon Garland (17-9, 3.51 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 94 Ks)
5. Mariano Rivera (39 saves, 4 blown, 1.39 ERA, 0.89 WHIP)
1. Chris Carpenter (21-4, 2.31 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, 201 Ks)
2. Roger Clemens (12-7, 1.77 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, 175 Ks)
3. Dontrelle Willis (21-8, 2.49 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, 141 Ks)
I really think it's a 2 man race in both leagues, and if either one was picked I would not be surprised. Colon is carrying his team into the playoffs, and Santana missed a recent start and hasn't been as dazzling recently. Carpenter is an absolute machine, but Clemens stats are ridiculous and (much like Santana) his win totals are skewed because of the teams they play on.
Your picks, ladies and gentlemen?
hard to argue those picks......carpenter is unreal. two years ago, at age 28, he's 4-5 with a 5.28 ERA, now he's the best pitcher in baseball...who would have thought.......
Colon just gave up 7 ER in his last game. Colon is getting run support he is not carrying that team. Santana has a better ERA and every category he leads over Colon. I wish people would look at a pitchers' run support. Santana hands down should win. People need to get a clue on how Cy Young winners should be picked!!!
People are saying the same thing about Clemens in the NL. Carpenter is a complete workhorse, but the gaudy stats that Clemens is putting up is making people think real hard. It seems almost unthinkable that someone who is leading the league in ERA by a HALF A RUN wouldn't win.
I think Cliff Lee of the Indians is going to get some Cy Young looks as well. He is having a 2004 Santana type of second half.
When do they announce the cy young and mvp winners?