MPR News Update for Oct. 8, 2015
Thursday, October 8, 2015
Is Minnesota about to lose one of its most widely recognized local businesses? The Mills family has confirmed that it's selling Fleet Farm, the Brainerd-based, rural-focused chain.
- McCarthy drops out of speaker race, throwing GOP leadership into chaos
Current House GOP leader John Boehner said he was withdrawing because, for Republicans to unite, "we probably need a fresh face." Now, leadership elections have been postponed. | Politics
- Lawsuit: Feds must press pipeline firms on oil spill disaster plans
An environmental group is suing the federal government, contending it is giving pipeline owners and operators a free pass on developing plans for dealing with major oil spills. | Oil train traffic jumps in downtown Mpls.
- Hero in French train attack, Spencer Stone, stabbed in California
Stone, one of three Americans who helped stop a terrorist attack on a Paris-bound train in August, is said to be in stable condition following the incident in Sacramento.
- U finds ties to mentors, families help keep at-risk kids in school
University of Minnesota researchers in 1990 believed an intensive relationship among a mentor, student and family could keep teens from dropping out. Officials recently met to share data on 25 years of Check & Connect.
- Amazon launches speedy Twin Cities delivery on groceries, goods
The online retail giant is now offering to deliver everything from milk and eggs to TVs within an hour throughout much of the Twin Cities. | NewsCut: A look at PrimeNow
- Fire trucks or firefighters? Brainerd cuts show tough choices
How do you structure fire departments to meet public safety — and a budget? It's a question many Minnesota cities are asking. Brainerd is taking a different tack.
- Rock hall of fame nominees include The Cars, Janet Jackson
It's a relatively controversy-free list of potential inductees this year, although die-hards always find a reason for outrage at inclusions or omissions. | Arts
- Sandra Cisneros crosses borders and boundaries in 'A House of My Own'
The author's new memoir collects three decades worth of her journeys in search of a sense of home. "I guess I didn't realize I was gonna be crossing borders my whole life," she says. | More books news
Subscribe to MPR News Update: RSS
You can also copy and paste this URL into your podcast software:
About MPR News Update
Simply, it is Minnesota news on your schedule. The MPR News Update brings you up to speed with the state's top news, the best of our blogs and smart talk radio in the format that fits you best.