MPR News Update for March 2, 2015
Monday, March 2, 2015
Count Sen. Al Franken among those who plan to skip Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's controversial speech tomorrow. Share your thoughts about Netanyahu's address to the U.S. Congress.
- Investigation or desecration? Tribes press for power to stop autopsies
Some Minnesota tribes want to change state law to prohibit an autopsy on religious grounds. Skeptics warn there are consequences to letting families stop the procedures. | Judge blocks two autopsies
- A Higgs boson dress? 'Nobel Creations' honors laureates through fashion
On loan from the Nobel Museum in Stockholm, the show at the American Swedish Institute features couture designs that depict the work of Nobel laureates. | Arts
- 10 things about Hmong culture, food and language you probably didn't know
It's been 40 years since the Hmong first began arriving in Minnesota. Today, the state boasts the second-largest Hmong population in the nation. | Minnesota's Hmong Story
- No jail time for Nelson in assault on ex-football player
Nelson was sentenced Monday to 100 hours of community service for his part in a fight May 11 outside a Mankato nightclub that left Isaac Kolstad with a brain injury.
- Como Zoo expands with baby gorilla birth
A baby western lowland gorilla was born at St. Paul's Como Zoo last week. The infant appears to be strong and healthy, zoo officials said Monday.
- Nasdaq index hits 5,000 for first time since 2000
Just five years ago, the Nasdaq composite index hovered around the 2,300 mark. | Business
- Minnesota permits to carry firearms at historic high
A report released Monday by the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension shows more Minnesotans have valid permits to carry firearms than at any time since the state revamped the gun law in 2003.
- Can family secrets make you sick?
Researchers are starting to understand how being exposed to adverse experiences early in life might affect long-term health. | Health
Subscribe to MPR News Update: RSS
You can also copy and paste this URL into your podcast software:
About MPR News Update
Simply, it is Minnesota news on your schedule. The MPR News Update brings you up to speed with the state's top news, the best of our blogs and smart talk radio in the format that fits you best.