MPR News Update for Oct. 1, 2014
Wednesday, October 1, 2014
- In Duluth debate, McFadden tries to cast Franken as rubber stamp for Obama
Republican Mike McFadden accused U.S. Sen. Al Franken of voting with the president 97 percent of the time. Franken accused McFadden of misrepresenting his record.
- 4.5% average hike in 2015 MNsure health plan rates
Minnesota's 2015 premiums will be the lowest of any in the nation, the Commerce Department says. Critics argue the 4.5 percent average masks some big rate hikes.
- How prepared is Minnesota for Ebola?
Public health officials said they are ready to treat and contain the disease if an infected patient arrives.
- Ebola in the US: What it means, what happens now
"There's all the difference in the world between the U.S. and parts of Africa where Ebola is spreading," a CDC official says.
- Amid scandal, Secret Service director Julia Pierson resigns
The move came one day after her appearance before lawmakers in a congressional hearing focused on recent security lapses at the White House.
- Former Idaho Sen. Craig ordered to pay for misused funds in airport bathroom case
U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson found that Craig violated the Federal Election Campaign Act by converting campaign funds for personal legal expenses.
- 'Ello' aims for a return to ad-free social networking
Interest in a new social network points to intensifying concerns over issues like data mining, online bullying and privacy protection.
- Minnesota hunter battles bear with knife and wins, but at a price
Brandon Johnson of North Branch has had surgery to repair two broken arms and a dislocated wrist.
- Kool-Aid Man, you're the cops' prime suspect in Lino Lakes (on Twitter)
What are the Kool-Aid Man and Imperial At-At Walkers doing in the Twitter feed of the Lino Lakes Police Department?
- Long-lost Jackson 5 track released by Minneapolis label Secret Stash
This newly-found recording features 8-year-old Michael Jackson, along with his brothers Jermaine, Tito, Jackie and Marlon. It's believed to be the earliest recording of the group.
- Ugliest accent? It's not Minnesota
Gawker is hosting its periodic "ugliest accent" competition, and we don't really have much of a chance.
Subscribe to MPR News Update: RSS
You can also copy and paste this URL into your podcast software:
About MPR News Update
Simply, it is Minnesota news on your schedule. The MPR News Update brings you up to speed with the state's top news, the best of our blogs and smart talk radio in the format that fits you best.