MPR News Update for May 1, 2015
Friday, May 1, 2015
Happy May Day! We're on a #treasurehunt in the Red River Valley. Follow along on Instagram.
- Charges against 6 officers in Freddie Gray's death range from murder to assault
In ruling Gray's death a homicide, State's Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby said there had been no reason to detain the 25-year-old black man and that his arrest was illegal. | Reaction to charges in Minnesota
- Students walk out to join Black Lives Matter rally, protests
Hundreds of Twin Cities students left school Friday to protest the prosecution of activists arrested at the Mall of America and the killings of black people by police.
- Vänskä says MN Orchestra's Cuba trip will show 'we are back'
In an interview with Tom Crann, the music director of the Minnesota Orchestra explains why he's confident that the group's Cuba trip will be a success. | Arts
- U.S., Canada unveil rules to boost oil train safety
The regulations, which go into effect Oct. 1, are in response to a series of fiery train crashes in the U.S. and Canada, including four so far this year.
- Minnesota's medical marijuana suppliers to open in July
Minnesota Medical Solutions, the state's biggest initial provider of medical marijuana, has its growing operation up to capacity. Another company, Leafline Labs, also will be ready this summer.
- Indie Bookstore Day: Where to go, what to read
In honor of Independent Bookstore Day on May 2, explore more than 25 Minnesota bookstores — and their current reading recommendations. | The Thread
- Video: Bottoms up with this spring-inspired gimlet
Cheers, everybody! It's spring. And that calls for a seasonal take on a classic cocktail.
- Counter Stories: A misunderstood party
It's time for Cinco de Mayo — the biggest Mexican-American cultural celebration of the year and maybe the least understood.
- A-choo! What to do now that allergy season is in bloom
This spring's allergy forecast for the Twin Cities is expected to be just about average. Minneapolis ranks No. 74 on the 100 most challenging places to live with spring allergies. | Health
Subscribe to MPR News Update: RSS
You can also copy and paste this URL into your podcast software:
About MPR News Update
Simply, it is Minnesota news on your schedule. The MPR News Update brings you up to speed with the state's top news, the best of our blogs and smart talk radio in the format that fits you best.