MPR News Update for Jan. 29, 2015
Thursday, January 29, 2015
- 30 years later, Minn. doctor still opening doors in fight against AIDS
There was little help for patients when Dr. Keith Henry opened Minnesota's first AIDS clinic in 1985. Things are dramatically better now, but he says there are still too many new cases. | Public health leaders recall '80s AIDS struggles
- Fitch declines to testify, defense rests in cop killer trial
Accused of killing a Mendota Heights police officer, Brian Fitch on Thursday declined to take the stand on his own behalf. Closing arguments are expected Monday.
- 7 things to know about measles and vaccinations
The outbreak of measles in Disneyland has now surpassed 80 cases, bringing the national spotlight back on the anti-vaccination movement. | Bill would make it harder to opt out kids
- Senate OKs Keystone XL pipeline, setting up fight with Obama
Sixty senators support the measure, but it doesn't appear to have enough backing to override a presidential veto. A vote could come as early as today. The House approved a similar measure this month. | Environment
- One man's moral case against football
Steve Almond, a lifelong football fan, has decided to stop watching the game.
- Rare fox takes a walk in the park, and Yosemite staff cheer
It's been nearly 100 years since a sighting of a Sierra Nevada red fox was documented in Yosemite National Park, according to park staff.
- A guide to winter birds in Minnesota
It's a surprisingly busy time for chickadees, cardinals, crows and even owls in the Land of 10,000 lakes. | The Daily Circuit
- Plan to transform downtown Rochester goes to city council
The Destination Medical Center project, which focuses on the Mayo Clinic's projected growth, is one step closer to final adoption.
- Minnesota Writers Week: Meet Margi Preus
Duluth-based children's book author Margi Preus draws from history and folklore to craft her tales.
Subscribe to MPR News Update: RSS
You can also copy and paste this URL into your podcast software:
About MPR News Update
Simply, it is Minnesota news on your schedule. The MPR News Update brings you up to speed with the state's top news, the best of our blogs and smart talk radio in the format that fits you best.