MPR News Update for Oct. 9, 2015
Friday, October 9, 2015
- Where to see fall colors this weekend
The North Shore is the place to be this weekend for prime leaf peeping. | #mprphotos: Share your foliage photos with MPR News on Instagram
- I-94 shutdown in St. Paul tops Twin Cities weekend road woes
Both sides of Interstate 94 will shut as crews remove the deck of the old Lafayette Bridge in St. Paul. Here's your guide to the rest of the weekend's driving hassles.
- UCare to drop lawsuit against state for health contracts
The Minneapolis company said in a statement Friday that it will file a motion to dismiss that lawsuit next week. | Health
- Pressure builds on Paul Ryan to run for House speaker
The 45-year-old Wisconsin lawmaker has insisted he's not interested in the post, preferring to focus on his role as chair of the Ways and Means Committee. | NewsCut: Vader, R-Empire, surfaces as favorite in speaker race
- U.S. shelves program intended to train Syrian rebels
The U.S. will shift the focus to training so-called "enablers" in Turkey. Those leaders of opposition groups will gather intelligence and coordinate airstrikes with existing fighters.
- ICYMI: Monster toy exhibit isn't just child's play
"America's Monsters, Superheroes and Villains" at the Goldstein Museum of Design displays 60 years of monster toys. Organizers say it also examines how America has seen itself over the last half-century. | Arts
- Prince serenades Madonna at late-night Paisley Park gig
The Current's Andrea Swensson, one of the lucky few at the private concert, says the two music icons seemed starstruck by each other.
- Photos: Wild topple Avalanche in season opener
Minnesota's Zach Parise came up with an unexpected hat trick on the road as the Wild stunned the Colorado Avalanche 5-4.
- Al Franken working on book about his years in Washington
The senator and former "Saturday Night Live" writer will write what he called as "psychological thriller" about his life in politics. | The Thread
Subscribe to MPR News Update: RSS
You can also copy and paste this URL into your podcast software:
About MPR News Update
Simply, it is Minnesota news on your schedule. The MPR News Update brings you up to speed with the state's top news, the best of our blogs and smart talk radio in the format that fits you best.