MPR News Update for Oct. 21, 2014
Tuesday, October 21, 2014
- Dangerous dance: Farm equipment, power line accidents up in rural MN
Collisions between farm machinery and power poles seem to be on the rise in rural Minnesota. Some worry it's just a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt.
- Fashion designer de la Renta dies at 82
Oscar de la Renta, 82, died Monday after a decade-long battle with cancer.
- Video: Futuristic theater on the Green Line imagines rail vs. neighborhood
Artists Wing Young Huie and Ashley Hanson teamed up with the Minnesota Museum of American Art to stage an unusual performance.
- A close Iowa Senate race could hinge on how women vote
Iowa shares a rare distinction with Mississippi: It has never elected a woman to the Senate, to the House, or to be governor.
- Stephen Paulus wrote and shared glorious music
The Minnesota composer, who died Sunday, made accessible music that explored new ideas. He wrote pieces that players could play, but also challenged them.
- Philip Brunelle reflects on the legacy of Stephen Paulus
The Twin Cities classical composer produced an impressive volume of scores, operas and choral pieces. "He had a wonderful, beautiful sense of the style," recalls the artistic director of VocalEssence.
- Toyota becomes latest automaker to issue recalls over faulty airbags
The massive recall was given fresh urgency on Monday, when the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration encouraged the owners of nearly 5 million cars to get them fixed "immediately."
- Military tuition assistance blocked for new students at Globe University
A U.S. Department of Defense tuition-assistance program has put Globe University and the Minnesota School of Business on probation.
- Why don't Americans trust experts?
What's fueling the mistrust? On issues including climate change, vaccines and politics, how do facts strengthen mistrust and fuel doubt?
- A guide to Minnesota bird migration this fall
Sharon "Birdchick" Stiteler joined The Daily Circuit to talk about birds on the move, and how those that stay are preparing for the winter.
Subscribe to MPR News Update: RSS
You can also copy and paste this URL into your podcast software:
About MPR News Update
Simply, it is Minnesota news on your schedule. The MPR News Update brings you up to speed with the state's top news, the best of our blogs and smart talk radio in the format that fits you best.