MPR News Update for July 31, 2015
Friday, July 31, 2015
Morning! Here's to another of summer's best days: Mostly sunny and warm, with a high of 85 in the Twin Cities and dew points in the mid-50s. | Your forecast
- Meet the Mpls. cop who writes more tickets than any other
Citations for low-level offenses are one element of "broken windows" policing. Officer Michael Killebrew excels at it. | In a high-crime area, Mpls. cops fight crime and perceptions
- Zimbabwe seeks to extradite Twin Cities dentist who killed Cecil the lion
The country's environment, climate and water minister called dentist Walter Palmer a "foreign poacher" and said Zimbabwe is appealing to the U.S. to extradite him. | U.S. officials want to question Palmer | Who is Cecil? And the business of big game hunting
- Germany shelves Nazi crimes probe of Minneapolis man
German prosecutors said the 96-year-old Michael Karkoc is not medically fit for trial.
- Judge won't extend deadline for archdiocese bankruptcy claims
A judge on Thursday rejected abuse victims' request to extend a deadline for bankruptcy court claims against the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis. The deadline remains Monday. | Betrayed by Silence: An MPR News investigation
- Transit Police Chief Harrington pays visit to Somalia
The visit is part of an effort to establish ties between Somali and Minnesota law enforcement.
- Police looking for homeless man in Quetico wilds
People who saw the man on Monday said he appeared to lack any means of travel.
- Archaeologists want help digging up St. Paul's past
University of Minnesota graduate students are hoping to unearth details of the city's immigrant past, long buried in Swede Hollow, along a creek east of downtown.
- Alec Soth finds humanity in social media, fleeting images
Internationally-known photographer Alec Soth began two recent projects with pictures. But the St. Paul-based artist ended up with something else.
- Some lawmakers push back on need for Mille Lacs special session
The prospect of a shortened walleye season on Mille Lacs means big trouble for resort owners, Dayton says.
Subscribe to MPR News Update: RSS
You can also copy and paste this URL into your podcast software:
About MPR News Update
Simply, it is Minnesota news on your schedule. The MPR News Update brings you up to speed with the state's top news, the best of our blogs and smart talk radio in the format that fits you best.