MPR News Update for Jan. 27, 2015
Tuesday, January 27, 2015
Education makes up the biggest chunk of Gov. Mark Dayton's plan for how to spend a projected $1 billion surplus in the state budget. Details were announced today.
- New Hope City Hall gunman had troubled past
Raymond Kmetz, 68, the man killed after opening fire at New Hope City Hall Monday night and wounding two officers, had a troubled past with government and the law. | Video: Gunfire interrupts city council meeting
- Photos: Shortened John Beargrease race finds snow
Sixteen teams started the John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon in Two Harbors instead of Duluth, and they got some fresh snow along the way. | More MPR News photos
- Obama meets new Saudi king, balancing human rights, U.S. interests
The president cut short his India trip to travel to Saudi Arabia. There, he met King Salman, who assumed the throne following the death of Salman's half-brother.
- Advocates ask Legislature for $10 million increase to crime victims' services
The Minnesota Coalition for Battered Women says at least 23 people were killed in Minnesota as a result of domestic violence last year.
- Minnesotan charged with trying to aid ISIS released to halfway house
U.S. District Judge Michael Davis said Abdullahi Yusuf may also participate in a civics program aimed at re-integrating him into U.S culture.
- Home explodes near Bemidji throwing man inside 50 feet
The man was awake and speaking when an ambulance arrived to bring him to the hospital. His condition has not been reported since.
- BWCA begins accepting online reservations Wednesday
The 1.1-million acre Boundary Waters is America's most visited wilderness area, attracting 250,000 visitors annually. | Environment
- The asteroid that flew past Earth has its own moon
In celestial terms, asteroid 2004 BL86 pretty much buzzed the Earth on Tuesday, coming within 745,000 miles away.
- Minnesota Writers Week: Meet Jonathan Odell
Minnesota transplant Jonathan Odell brings Mississippi to life in his novels. | The Daily Circuit
Subscribe to MPR News Update: RSS
You can also copy and paste this URL into your podcast software:
About MPR News Update
Simply, it is Minnesota news on your schedule. The MPR News Update brings you up to speed with the state's top news, the best of our blogs and smart talk radio in the format that fits you best.