MPR News Update for May 21, 2015
Thursday, May 21, 2015
Environmental advocates upset about a budget bill that includes several controversial policy provisions picketed the governor's mansion today. DFL Gov. Mark Dayton had a few surprises for the crowd.
- Counties stake middle ground in clean water, runoff fight
As farmers and Gov. Mark Dayton argue over enforcing buffer strips along public streams and lakes, Otter Tail County officials are finding success with a local, low-key approach. | Environment
- Car balk? Report reveals many in Twin Cities walk, bike to work
A new analysis shows far more people are getting to work on foot or bike than census numbers show. | How to get your bike road-ready | Minnesota named second most bike-friendly state again
- Grand jury clears 2 St. Paul officers who fatally shot man
The officers won't be charged in the death of Marcus Ryan Golden.
- Twin Cities growing fast, census estimates show
Minnesota's population increased by more than 35,000 last year. Minneapolis and St. Paul alone accounted for about a quarter of the state's population growth last year.
- Minnesota attorney general sues Savers over charity claims
Attorney General Lori Swanson says the for-profit retailer has "seriously misled the public" about the extent to which donations benefit charitable organizations.
- State adds 7,400 jobs, unemployment rate drops to 3.7 percent
The Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development reported the state has gained 25,500 jobs in the past three months and 46,114 jobs over the past year.
- Sharp-tongued Democratic Rep. Winkler to resign, move abroad
The fifth-term legislator will resign this summer to relocate to Brussels. However, Winkler says he hasn't ruled out a return to Minnesota's political scene in the future. | Politics
- Photos: John Vachon captures Minnesota at work, 1939-1941
The St. Paul native died in 1975, but would have turned 101 yesterday. All week, we're republishing photos from his Minnesota rovings. | Monday | Tuesday | Wednesday
Subscribe to MPR News Update: RSS
You can also copy and paste this URL into your podcast software:
About MPR News Update
Simply, it is Minnesota news on your schedule. The MPR News Update brings you up to speed with the state's top news, the best of our blogs and smart talk radio in the format that fits you best.