MPR News Update for Oct. 22, 2014
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
- 2 dead in shooting attack at Canada's Parliament
Authorities believe there were three gunmen involved in three shootings Wednesday morning, all within less than a mile from each other in downtown Ottawa. | Live updates from Ottawa
- Opus-Greco eyes another St. Paul site for luxury development
The Seven Corners Gateway Site is proposed to replace an existing parking lot located across the street from the Xcel Energy Center and near a center for homeless services. | Business
- Firewood a hot commodity as rural Minnesotans ready for winter
After last year's long cold winter spiked propane costs and left firewood piles burned to nothing, rural Minnesotans are stocking up on anything to keep their homes warm.
- Appetites: The beginner's guide to making a dessert cheese plate
Everybody has seen the cheese and cracker plate, but increasingly local chefs are holding the cheese for dessert. Here are some tips on how to do it yourself. | Appetites
- Minnesota readies Ebola monitoring for travelers from W. Africa
The roughly 10 travelers per week coming to Minnesota from Ebola-affected countries will be monitored, part of the larger process federal officials are starting Monday in six states. | Ebola coverage
- Cops press Minn. lawmakers to spend more on youth intervention
Diversion programs improve lives, save money and keep communities safer, law enforcement leaders said during a Wednesday press conference.
- Screen Time: 'Dear White People'
MPR News' Euan Kerr joins Kerri to talk about the new film "Dear White People."
| The Daily Circuit
- Allegations of child slavery linger for Cargill
Minnetonka-based company is asking a federal court to overrule a court decision that links it to abusive work conditions on cocoa farms overseas.
- Read of the day: In Rochester, abandoned wheelchairs are part of the landscape
Rochester is home to Mayo Clinic, visited by thousands of patients every day. Many of them use wheelchairs. The big curiosity is how they end up all over the city.
- Portable standing desk business in Superior gets Kickstarter boost
Three friends aim to mass produce a portable standing desk manufactured regionally.
- On Thursday's Daily Circuit: What it means to live after ending cancer treatment
After 11 years, 28-uyear-old Jenna Vancura announced on her blog that her body was finally succumbing to the disease. | The Daily Circuit
- How soccer survived war in Somalia
Filmmaker J.R. Biersmith spent a year following two friends who played for the national soccer team in Somalia.
Subscribe to MPR News Update: RSS
You can also copy and paste this URL into your podcast software:
About MPR News Update
Simply, it is Minnesota news on your schedule. The MPR News Update brings you up to speed with the state's top news, the best of our blogs and smart talk radio in the format that fits you best.