Dec. 17, 2014
Wednesday, December 17, 2014
- Obama unveils 'new approach' on Cuba
The U.S. and Cuba will start talks on normalizing relations and discuss opening a U.S. Embassy in Havana. Also today, Cuba freed USAID contractor Alan Gross on humanitarian grounds. | Bachmann criticizes U.S.-Cuba shift
- Community solar gardens go rural
In Center City, Pelican Rapids and other Minnesota cities, entrepreneurs and utilities are building community solar gardens that let residents invest in solar without putting panels on their roofs. | Report: Making energy local
- Two dead, 'more questions than answers,' after I-694 police chase
An apparent killing at a Maple Grove rest area early Wednesday led to a police chase that ended with officers killing the suspect.
- MSP: Renovations will speed airport security lines
Construction starts in April on a 10 lane checkpoint in the main terminal. Officials hope to cut the average wait time to about 12 minutes.
- 2 Minnesota teens honored for rescuing fishermen
Long Lake Fire Chief James Van Elyll says the November incident could have ended tragically if not for the quick thinking of the young men.
- Listen: Comfort food may not be all that comforting
Here's some disappointing news for hotdish lovers: Comfort food might not make you as happy as you think, according to a new study.
- Another test for Minnesota's sex offender program
A rapist held indefinitely in the Minnesota Sex Offender Program will begin living in a supervised group home in Le Center. It's the program's first release outside the Twin Cities.
- MNsure: Nearly 50,000 signed up for Jan. 1 health coverage
Total enrollment in public and private health plans through the state's health insurance exchange jumped 32 percent between Dec. 13 and Dec. 16, the exchange says. | Health
- Rochester expansion plan is a vision for urban and walkable development
The Mayo Clinic's Destination Medical Center design includes a riverside market and amphitheater, a transit hub and a busy commercial and retail center. | Legislators to revisit key part of financing plan
- Photos: All aboard! Take a ride on the North Pole Express
Passengers line up at Union Depot in downtown St. Paul for an authentic steam engine experience complete with Santa Claus. | More MPR News photos
Subscribe to MPR News Update: RSS
You can also copy and paste this URL into your podcast software:
About MPR News Update
Simply, it is Minnesota news on your schedule. The MPR News Update brings you up to speed with the state's top news, the best of our blogs and smart talk radio in the format that fits you best.