MPR News Update for May 5, 2016
Thursday, May 5, 2016
- Homeless and alone, she struggles toward graduation
In her last year of high school, Diamond is full of questions about why her life had to be so hard.
- MN medical marijuana sites grow; cost, access concerns remain
A dispensary is expected to open this summer in Bloomington, although some say high prices are still keeping would-be patients from picking up cannabis. Others worry greater Minnesota still lacks access to the clinics.
- Minneapolis schools chief to head Big Brothers Big Sisters
Minneapolis Public Schools Interim Superintendent Michael Goar has a new job as CEO of Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Twin Cities.
- ISIS defendant's lawyer says he hasn't been paid in months
The trial for Mohamed Farah, 22, is scheduled to start Monday, and it's unclear if his attorney Murad Mohammad will continue to represent him then.
- Police: 1 killed, at least 5 hurt in Minneapolis shooting
Minneapolis police spokesman John Elder says officers responded to a report of shots fired at 8:50 p.m. Wednesday.
- MN Opera's 'Shining' may be the scariest yet
"Bravo" is always welcome, but the creators of the Stephen King adaptation hope to hear "Don't go in there!" too.
- Minnesota Republicans adjust to reality of Trump atop their ticket
Minnesota Republicans now know Donald Trump is their presidential nominee-in-waiting. While many have kept their distance from the controversial candidate, they must now navigate an election cycle where he'll be their party's lead voice.
- After a day in front of a computer, do you have a medical problem?
Depending on whether you consult an optometrist or an ophthalmologist, you might get different answers on what ails you. Is it computer vision syndrome? Is it digital eyestrain?
- Frozen food fears: 4 things to know about listeria
More than 350 products like green beans, broccoli, peas and blueberries sold under 42 brands at grocers in the U.S. and Canada have now been recalled.
Subscribe to MPR News Update: RSS
You can also copy and paste this URL into your podcast software:
About MPR News Update
Simply, it is Minnesota news on your schedule. The MPR News Update brings you up to speed with the state's top news, the best of our blogs and smart talk radio in the format that fits you best.