MPR News Update for May 29
Friday, May 29, 2015
Good morning! Scattered rain today with a high of around 71. The Adrian Peterson saga continues, this time on Twitter. | Forecast
- Minn. regulators approve site permit for huge solar project
Geronimo Energy's Aurora project will build up to 21 solar generation facilities across the state to supply electricity to Xcel Energy customers. | Business
- 41 indicted in drug trafficking ring on 2 Indian reservations
Authorities say the ring distributed drugs including heroin, methamphetamine, oxycodone and others in and around the Red Lake and White Earth Indian reservations starting in April 2014.
- Mpls. Veterans Home enters final stage of expansion
The Minneapolis Veterans Home is getting a new 100-bed skilled care nursing facility on its campus, after securing $38 million in federal funds.
- Fire that wrecked key northern MN rail bridge ruled accidental
Investigators believe a mechanical failure triggered the fire that destroyed a rail bridge south of International Falls. Crews are working quickly to rebuild the U.S.-Canada freight link.
- Parts of I-35E in St. Paul, Hwy. 100 in west metro closing Friday
Both freeways are scheduled to reopen by Monday morning.
- Minnesota hospitals will be able to dispense medical marijuana
The Legislature has adjusted the law to add hospitals to the list of facilities that can control, dispense and manage the use of cannabis inside their systems. | Health
- Dowling departs the Guthrie with career-launching play
Joe Dowling's 1986 production of "Juno and the Paycock" at the Gate Theatre in Dublin led him to Broadway and the Guthrie, from which he soon departs as artistic director. | Arts
- National spelling bee crowns co-champs for second straight year
Vanya Shivashankar is the first sibling of a former champion to take home the trophy. Gokul Venkatachalam finished in third place last year behind last year's co-champs. | Winning words at the bee more D-I-F-F-I-C-U-L-T than ever
Subscribe to MPR News Update: RSS
You can also copy and paste this URL into your podcast software:
About MPR News Update
Simply, it is Minnesota news on your schedule. The MPR News Update brings you up to speed with the state's top news, the best of our blogs and smart talk radio in the format that fits you best.